Friday, May 25, 2007

Coca-Cola to Buy Vitaminwater...

Among the many disturbing headlines I spotted in the NYT digest I receive in my work mail inbox every day, this was the most terrifying. Not the war in Iraq (I've seen so many "we lost xx number of troops today and xx number were severely wounded and are listed in critical condition" that I've become, sadly, rather desensitized to it), not the fact that our "elected" leader made a buffoon of himself yet again when he stated that Queen Elizabeth was here for our country's bicentennial in 1776, not the record numbers of people being slaughtered, publicly or privately, by military coups, angry ethnic wars or religious strife. The most terrifying was the fact that Coke is buying Vitaminwater.

For those of you who don't know, Vitaminwater is exactly what it says it is: water enhanced with vitamins. It comes in many different varieties and flavors, and is a great alternative to, well, Coke, Pepsi, and other carbonated soft drink beverages. For your information, Odwalla is also owned by Coca - Cola, see the following link for more information on that acquisition.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=70760

Now, I don't drink Odwalla juices because I prefer Naked. I DO drink Vitaminwater because they provide excellent postworkout refreshment and electrolyte replenishment.

I am also a Coca Cola FIEND. This has tapered off significantly, especially as I've been introduced, through my part-time job at Origins as well as my boyfriend's love for tea, but it's still there. In fact on my desk right now there's a Nalgene of filtered water, a glass of Pom Wonderful's new Lychee White Tea, and a 12-ounce can of Coke. Call me a hypocrite.

The issue I have is with the fact that the manufacturer of a product thst removes rust better than commercial rust remover (the Mythbusters proved this one) is now making all-natural juices and electrolyte replacement beverages (and for the record, I prefer Gatorade to Recharge, though they're both great...I think that's ingrained from when I was in sixth or seventh grade and that was the only option we had for electrolyte replacement). The way I see it, it's only a matter of time because high fructose corn syrup starts sneaking its way into your Mango Tango and Dragon Fruit drinks. I think I'll stick with Naked for now.

No comments: