Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gender: A Pre-Existing Condition?

I received an email today from change.org rallying supporters to "tell Congress that being a woman is not a pre-existing condition"! While I (fundamentally) agree with the change.org task force most of the time, I'm having second thoughts on this one. While I don't think that being a woman--or a man--should have any effect on insurance companies' claim judgment, which is what, of course, this particular war cry is supposed to ignite fury over, I'm pretty sure there isn't a condition that is more "pre-existing" than gender. I mean, really, this is why men have nipples.

As a clerical admin currently employed by a hospital, I get questioned about the current health care debacle by patients all the time. August 2009 was a particularly interesting month to be a medical office employee. Truth be told, while the system is obviously broken, I'm not sure who can fix it. What I am sure of is that it's going to take cooperation and caring action by a massive number of people to get any sort of progressive ball really rolling on health care. Until we Americans stop employing capitalist-imperialist, i.e. exploitative, ideology and acting as apologists for our oppressors, the current corporate leviathan--the insurance industry and the pharmaceutical lobbying groups--is going to keep winning, and American health will continue to suffer.

No comments: